Territorial Disputes and State Sovereignty
International Law and Politics
Chapter One: Aims/Rationale
- To establish key conceptual elements related to territorial disputes that are central to the legal and political sciences: state, sovereignty and self-determination.
- To compare and contrast the many issues at stake in territorial disputes and the potential remedies currently available.
- To assess why some territorial disputes remain unresolved.
- To identify in theory the elements all territorial disputes have in common when they start and as they continue, and why a party may seek and comply with a settlement.
- To establish some guidelines for policymaking in dispute settlement and conflict resolution.